Tests are challenges to the citizens of Egypt. The objective of A Tale in the Desert is to build the ideal civilization by perfecting the Seven Disciplines of Man, with each discipline containing a varied number of test (seven tests minimum, yet in Tale 7 the quantity is higher for all disiplines). To reach the top rank for any given disipline, oracle, one must complete seven test. The player decides which tests to complete and the order of passing them.
In order to attempt any of the tests in a Discipline, you must first pass the initiation into that discipline. While the tests are often very difficult, many tests cannot, by design, be passed by more than a small percentage of players.
The initiations are achievable by any dedicated player and are designed to give a flavor of the discipline.
- Before starting a test, you must visit the appropriate university to start it.
- Tests have level restrictions.
- Some tests have additional restrictions, beyond a level requirement
- Tests have principles, which are easier than (and designed to be a sample of) the full test
- Completing a Test will give you a "rank" (i.e. a new title) and you may get a reward of some kind (ability to make a new building, extra waypoints, improved stats, etc). Passing a test automatically passes principles for that test, even if you do not meet the requirements for the Principles.
- The test "Principles" are different from the "Principles" of each discipline. For example, you must complete the "Principles of Body" before you are allowed to sign up for any of the seven Tests of Body. Think of it as an "initiation". Each of the seven Body tests also has "Principles".
As part of the challenge of the Seven Disciplines of Man, we must write a test for each discipline for our grandchildren in years to come. NOTE: LEVEL REQUIREMENTS FOR UNOPENED TESTS ARE NOT UP TO DATE FOR T8 YET. WORK IN PROGRESS
The Test Pass History page has some information about previous successful test passes.
Demonstrating New Tests
Unlike previous tales, Tests that are currently locked are not demonstrated at local universities. Tests are now demonstrated at the University of Progress. These universities are not bound by faction and can be interacted with regardless of the control state of their region. While some tests are unlocked based on present stat scores, others may require groups of players present to unlock.